Chapter 9 - What leads into shadow
- Whirling around,
- Like leaves in the wind,
- Trading Places,
- In a Deadly-go-round,
- Shadows, are you scared?
- The Wheel lifts them up,
- The Wheel brings them down,
- Closer to the Top,
- Closer to the Fall,
- Shadows, are you dead?
- The warp whirls in,
- The woof pulls out,
- Round the threads,
- Seek the Center
- Shadows, are you empty?
Uniform Guards [Adar-23]
- The Beggar tells the group that Guardsman-Lieutenant Jerman of the Queen's Guard wants to talk to the group. He leads them to a small house with a Red and White banner outside. The group is very dubious.
- JeninTheArmsman and JacAlNorey are attacked, but they quickly dispatch the foes. OliviaAnStein is attacked by the one upstairs and knocked unconscious as UzulfTzun attempts to knock him out in turn. The "guard" then attempts to use OliviaAnStein as a hostage, UzulfTzun intimidates him and says "You had better run as she means nothing to me". Seeing the other two coming up the stairs with the enraged Ogier, he flees.
- JeninTheArmsman and JacAlNorey give chase. He is caught but the City Watch are warned. The heroes return with the prisonner just as the Guard arrive. There is some discussion about how unfortunate it might be for the Thug if he is found with a Queen's Guard tabard on. He spills the beans about them beening hired by the Beggar.
- The group and the Thug escape out of a back window whilst the Guard break into the front. JeninTheArmsman informs the Thug that if he sees him again he will kill him.
On a High Place
- The group then goes to the Palace to see if they can get an interview with the AesSedai. They can't but UzulfTzun gets the group in on the pretext of sizing a job on the city wall (DM's note: actually, it's Gardsman-Lieutenant Tallanvor who invited the heroes in, following an intrusion that had happened the same morning). They find the place where the Princess and Prince overlooked the morning's parade of the False Dragon and where the flute player climbed up.
- A Red Ajah Aes Sedai (DM's note: Liandrin Sedai) arrives and chucks the group out except for OliviaAnStein whom she says is a Wilder and must be trained at the White Tower or she will in all probability die. Then a White Ajah Aes Sedai (DM's note: Sarene Nemdalh Aes Sedai) turns up and there is a tiff between then. The Red one leaves in disgust. Olivia then discusses her situation with the White One.
- Sarene Nemdahl Aes Sedai: "The Red Ajah dedicates himself to hunting men that can channel, and usually find them slightly distatefull..."
- Olivia An'Stein: "That does not seem the way for me..."
- DM's note: The group learns the probable identity of "Lady Alys": Moiraine Damodred Aes Sedai, a "cousin" of the dead king of Cairhien, Laman of House Damodred, and of the Prince Consort of Andor and former husband to a Daughter-Heir (Tigraine) and a Queen, Morgase, killed in a hunting incident.
- The rest of the group wait in the guard room for her return. UzulfTzun invites the Captain to join the group for dinner, but he refuses as he is on duty.
Sleep Disturbed [Adar-24]
- The group have a quiet rest of the day and retire for the evening. JeninTheArmsman is very paranoid and moves his bed so that no one can get into his room.
- JacAlNorey is awoken by the Beggar going though his stuff and stealing his ancient family Cloak. The begaar runs off, he is chased by JacAlNorey in his smallclothes and carrying only a large axe. This disconcerting sight is soon followed by JeninTheArmsman also barely dressed with a rapier and OliviaAnStein wearing just a cloak. UzulfTzun always the gentle Ogier puts on his boots and trousers first.
- The group, in the dead of night and not dressed or really armed or armoured, follows after the beggar. They track him to the cellar of a warehouse. In the cellar is a magical portal which UzulfTzun calls a WayGate? which is very dangerous as people easily die there. Uzulf thinks that they should definetely not go though it.
- Just as the group see the beggar go though the WayGate?, the WhiteCloaks turn up and attempt to capture or kill the group as they must all be DarkFriends?. The group, one by one, make up thier mind to ignore UzulfTzun wise words that they don't want to go into the Way as it is dangerous.
In Harm's Way
- The group see the WhiteCloaks set the warehouse on fire. Despite the fact that JeninTheArmsman wants to stay on the other side of the portal until the fire is out and then return home for their stuff, the group, after some discussion, heads off after the Beggar and the Cloak.
- The follow the Wayline and arrive at a Waystone. By Waystone are four bridges, the WayStone? has directions on to other places, some that UzulfTzun knows. The group follows the trail of blood left by the Beggar.
- After a while the group comes to an island with two Trollocs and the Beggar. The beggar is packing some bags with stuff. They see the group arrive.
- The Beggar: "Kill them and hurry up, we must catch Al'Thor."
- Huge Trolloc, drawing his sword: "Fain says you die now..."
- The group at this time are about to attack 2 very strong Trollocs while lightly armed and dressed in nothing but underclothes ...
- Jenin: "You're Homicidal !"
- Jac: "No, I'm an Idiot, you're homicidal"
- Olivia An'Stein, to the beggar: "You picked the daughter of the wrong man to kidnap !!!"
- The beggar: "?!?!?!?..."
- Uzulf after some effort gets the Trolloc over the side and the Trolloc falls to his eventual death in the void.
- The beggar runs off leaving the Cloak and some equipement. Leaving, he says somethink like "I don't need the Cloak anyway to kill Al'Thor...""
Death come on a cold wind
- The group are catching their breath when an evil wind comes there way ....